Current:Home > StocksWill Sage Astor-An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan -Capitatum
Will Sage Astor-An independent inquiry opens into the alleged unlawful killings by UK special forces in Afghanistan
Chainkeen Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 09:32:08
LONDON (AP) — An independent inquiry opened Monday to examine claims that British special forces murdered dozens of Afghan men during counterinsurgency operations in Afghanistan a decade ago,Will Sage Astor as well as allegations that authorities subsequently covered up the alleged illegal activity or failed to investigate it properly.
The inquiry, which opened at the Royal Courts of Justice in London, focuses on alleged unlawful killings that took place during night raids carried out by elite military units in the war-torn nation between 2010 and 2013.
Families of those killed say they were innocent and unarmed civilians, and called on the inquiry to unearth the truth. In one case, family members allege that nine men were shot in their beds during a raid. The British military has said that soldiers were acting in self-defense.
The investigation is expected to hear submissions on behalf of the families of 33 people, including eight children, who were allegedly killed by special forces.
“Let there be no misunderstanding for those who have something to hide –- the inquiry will use all its powers to make sure that if there is credible information of wrongdoing … no matter how senior their position, they are referred to the relevant authorities,” lawyer Oliver Glasgow told the inquiry Monday.
Glasgow cited email exchanges between senior military officers that suggested multiple concerns were raised within the military at the time about the number of casualties.
One such email said “there appears to be a casual disregard for life,” while others discussed the disproportionate number of enemy dead compared to the number of weapons recovered.
The inquiry was ordered after some families launched legal challenges against the U.K. government.
It will scrutinize two previous investigations by the Royal Military Police into allegations of wrongdoing by U.K. armed forces in Afghanistan, which closed with no prosecutions.
When the BBC aired details about the alleged unlawful killings in an investigative program last year, the Ministry of Defense cited the lack of evidence in the two earlier inquiries and claimed it was “irresponsible and incorrect” to report the allegations.
British forces were deployed to Afghanistan since 2001 as part of a NATO-led international coalition after the Sept. 11 attacks. Thousands of British troops were sent to Helmand from 2006 to help with providing security for reconstruction projects, but they were soon drawn into combat operations.
The last U.K. forces and their NATO allies withdrew from Afghanistan in 2021 after a nearly two-decade campaign.
veryGood! (6551)
Related
- Newly elected West Virginia lawmaker arrested and accused of making terroristic threats
- Alaska whaling village teen pleads not guilty to 16 felony counts in shooting that left 2 dead
- The number of suspects has grown to 7 in the fatal beating of a teen at an Arizona Halloween party
- CIA director returns to Middle East to push for hostage, cease-fire deal between Hamas and Israel
- EU countries double down on a halt to Syrian asylum claims but will not yet send people back
- Want to invest in Taylor Swift and Beyoncé? Now you can.
- Authorities investigate oily sheen off Southern California coast
- Convicted killer Robert Baker says his ex-lover Monica Sementilli had no part in the murder of her husband Fabio
- What do we know about the mysterious drones reported flying over New Jersey?
- Facing historic shifts, Latin American women to bathe streets in purple on International Women’s Day
Ranking
- Kylie Jenner Shows Off Sweet Notes From Nieces Dream Kardashian & Chicago West
- Zendaya's Bold Fashion Moment Almost Distracted Us From Her New Bob Haircut
- Media mogul Rupert Murdoch is planning a fifth walk down the aisle this June
- Pierce Brosnan says 'Oppenheimer' star Cillian Murphy would be 'magnificent' James Bond
- The Best Stocking Stuffers Under $25
- Barack Obama turned down a '3 Body Problem' cameo in the best way to 'GOT' creators
- New York Attorney General Letitia James sued over action against trans sports ban
- Quinoa is a celeb favorite food. What is it and why is it so popular?
Recommendation
Louvre will undergo expansion and restoration project, Macron says
Virginia Tech star Elizabeth Kitley ruled out of ACC tournament with knee injury
Obesity drug Wegovy is approved to cut heart attack and stroke risk in overweight patients
Millie Bobby Brown Claps Back on Strange Commentary About Her Accent
How to watch the 'Blue Bloods' Season 14 finale: Final episode premiere date, cast
Quinoa is a celeb favorite food. What is it and why is it so popular?
The number of suspects has grown to 7 in the fatal beating of a teen at an Arizona Halloween party
The Challenge’s Nelson Thomas Gets Right Foot Amputated After Near-Fatal Car Crash